Social Icons

twitter YOUNG Blizzy Entertainment - YBEgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

Saturday, November 3, 2018

More details emerge about the FRCN staff who died after jumping inside the Third Mainland Bridge on Friday

An eye witness, George Ikechukwu, who witnessed the moment a middle-aged man, Sheriff Oladejo, jumped into the lagoon from Third Mainland Bridge on Friday has shed more light on the incident saying his vehicle was directly behind the Toyota Corolla car in which Oladejo was in.

According to News Agency of Nigeria, the deceased was a driver attached to an Assistant Director in charge of Information Communication Technology unit of the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria.

He was said to have been newly posted from the FRCN Training School located in Shogunle to the Broadcasting House in Ikoyi, Lagos. Explaining what transpired shortly before the suicide, Ikechukwu in a chat with Punch said there was light traffic along UNILAG waterfront end of the Third Mainland bridge as a result of a vehicle that broke down on the road.

He said, “we were on Third Mainland Bridge after the UNILAG Waterfront about 9am. I was behind the brown Toyota Corolla 2001 model where the man was. There were three people inside the car, the driver and a woman sitting in the front. The man sat at the back. There was a faulty vehicle on the road, so we all had to reduce our speed.

I noticed the car (the Toyota Corolla) in front of me slowed down, and the man jumped out in front my car. I thought their car was over-flooding and he wanted to call the attention of the fishermen to help them with water or he wanted to urinate. But the next thing I saw was that the tall man climbed the culvert. He wore a grey shirt with brown trousers and a cap.

The man wore a very desperate look. He should be in his late 40s. My wife and I were looking at him as he held the railings and jumped into the water, head-first. I parked immediately and disembarked from my car. The driver of the Toyota Corolla also came down. We could not see any trace of his body because the water was calm.”

Ikechukwu said they called for help and three fishermen responded. He said the fishermen searched the water for about 30 minutes without success. Oladejo’s body was later recovered by a joint team of Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Marine Police, Lagos State Waterways Authority and Rapid Response Squad.

No comments:

Post a Comment